We said ‘thank you’…

… with something personal.

Favors are usually something small, most of the time something to eat. But that wouldn’t have made sense in our case. I wanted our wedding favors to be a reminder of our wedding, without being too much about ‘us’. And since there was a lot of DIY element to this event, these also had to be DIY. Looking back, it was quite a gigantic task, this was by far the most time-consuming project.

Without further-ado, let me introduce our wedding favors: a bunch of self-designed, self-screen-printed, self-sawn sauna towels 😉 It made perfect sense, since during the evening we had a sauna session, in a very cool old-style smoke sauna, and we also cooked outdoors right in front of it.

So I bought about 5m of 100% linen from a thrift store, though the fabric was brand new and had a natural colour.

It took some time to figure out what to print on them though, apart from making sure the paint worked in such extreme conditions as well. Eventually, I settled on a design of a single birch tree, albeit with a somewhat minimalistic look, placed on the side of the towel (in case the ink leaked and ‘marked’ the human bottom that was placed on it). I used a photo which I then sketched over in photoshop. Later we added the name of the place, but decided against including the date, which is probably only important for the two of us anyways.

The task of cutting out the stencil was left to H2B.

Unfortunately, our design was bigger than the screen we borrowed from my father-in-law. So we had to do it in two parts. That made things a lot more complicated and the process about 3x longer.

But of course I had to sew them first. I prewashed the fabric, and it was very difficult to cut straight after that, so I don’t know if it was a good idea… and I don’t have a long enough ruler either.

I ironed all the edges, turning twice. God, that was boring, but it looks a lot better, and I guess also made the actual sewing faster. In the last minute I also remembered that adding a hook could be a good idea, so they all got one.

And then onto the printing… in 2 rounds… and few mistakes, due to a not impeccable positioning in the 2nd round…

I would love to show the end result, but they were all given away before I could take a photo.. 😦

I can show something else though. It was a for a few of the guests we knew would not stay till the sauna. Again, of course, DIY from start to finish, from drawing to ironing.

The folk motif is called Matyó, from Mezökövesd, Hungary, which is very close to where I’m from. See more here.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s