So my veil… I’m really proud of it. I thought it would take ages, but I got ready with it reasonably fast.
What took the most time was to determine the actual shape I wanted. A lot of pinning, then repining, then repinning again. I used the same lace edge that was on my dress. I had about 4 meters to play with.I had enough tulle for double layer cathedral length veil, but I only wanted a single layer tip-length, aka, ending just under my bum. Once I was ready with the shape and length, with the lace still pinned on, I basted around with a green thread (only one half, as I wanted it symmetrical, so I just folded it and after removing the lace pinned the two halves together). Then came the scissors and the no way back. I left a tiny piece of material on at the middle on top as well as the bottom, just to help me navigate. I didn’t want puff on my head, but needed a tiny gathering none the less (the amount between the pins-arrows).
On the photo there is a clear comb, but I ended up using a brown colored one, which was also much flatter and so kept the lace closer to my head. In any case, I wrapped a thin piece of tulle around the comb in every gap and made a double not at each end. Don’t have a photo of it, but the next step was to sew the veil to the comb.
And then came the lace. Mine was quite wide, so I spent some time adjusting it to the curve, fiddling with the pattern to make it lay nicely. Miraculously, I managed to pin it so (starting from the top) that the pattern overlap exactly in the middle on the bottom. You couldn’t tell where it starts and where it ends 🙂
Sewing the lace on was relatively easy. I sew from the bottom up, doing a short section on the left then on the right, then on the left again, etc. I did pay attention to keeping my stitches inside the pattern, as the yellow arrows show, unlike the orange arrows. You wouldn’t really be able to see, but I wanted it to be perfect 😉
If you have a little time, you should really do your veil, it’s a great feeling… Something to pass on to my daughter.
And this is how it looked in action: